A lack of sleep can be harmful to one’s health, and that’s true of skin health, too. Research shows that those who do not sleep well can have increased indicators of stress such as fine lines and overall skin sagging. If you have problems hitting the hay, here are five ways you can add those eight hours of Z’s back into your schedule so that you can wake up to a better you:
1. Skip the Coffee and Wine. Avoid caffeine four to six hours before bedtime and put down the Cabernet within three hours of bedtime.
2. Establish a routine. Ease the transition from morning to night with relaxing activities
before bed. Enjoy a nice hot bath with Aloette’s Re/Lax Aromatherapy Bath Salts, which release environmental toxins from the skin to put the mind at better ease, and curl up with a good book. If you take your problems to bed with you, try writing them down in a journal – it will feel like you’re putting your worries aside.
3. Sleep when you’re truly tired. If you’re restless after 20 minutes in bed, staying in bed isn’t going to do you any good. Leave the room and something relaxing, like reading a book or listening to calming music.
4. Exercise early. Try to finish your gym routine at least three hours before bedtime. Exercise stimulates cortisol in the body, which activates parts of the brain that keep the mind alert.
5. Make it fun. Have quick routines established right before bedtime so you look forward to the evening. Use a calming moisturizer such as Advanced Night Recovery Pro at the end of your skincare routine, and soothe your soles with our infamous Re/Wind Overnight Foot Treatment.